I am Fabian Wolf, Web Developer and Frontend-Designer, who is primarly occouped with Usability, WordPress as a CMS and E-Commerce solutions. Passionate and ardent at work. With a big focus on usability, amenability and accessibility.
Webdesign & Usability
For more than 20 years I've been designing concepts, creating and developing websites with focus on Usability and Accessibilitya>. Of course this includes access for mobile devices, too (Responsive Webdesign / Device Agnostic Webdesign).
WordPress & Derivates
One of my focal points is WordPress, the well-known Content Management and publishing system, which I've been using both as end user as well as developer for over 14 years.Also, I am using ClassicPress, the continuation of the 4.9.x branch of WordPress, without the Gutenberg block editor, and a bigger focus on business, reliability and security.
E-Commerce & Shops
xt:Commerce, osCommerce, WooCommerce, PrestaShop, OpenCart, Jigoshop as well as custom, stand-alone solutions. This includes the mere frontend development, plus application development, up to building and administration of entire shop websites..
- Realisation of shop websites (starting from 3000 EUR / 3500 USD)
- Backend development (Plugins, CMS-to-Shop system integrations, connecting APIs, etc.)
- System protection and administration
Short extract from my portfolio - a few up-to-date projects.
Deep and thorough website performance optimization and theme porting of gabionen-guensel.de
- Porting of the current webdesign from the preexisting multipurpose premium WordPress theme (Porta) to _s / underscores.me, while keeping the base components and structure (Bootstrap 3, parts of the theme temlate files)
- Switching from the Page Builder plugin «Visual Composer» to repeating layout elements (GUI: Advanced Custom Fields Pro) plus Page Templates
- Image optimization, incl. custom implementation of image optimization tools
- Media lazy as well as post loading (primarly images using bLazy;also including slideshow elements)
- Caching plus CSS/JS minification and data comrpession (GZip)
- Results include a resource reduction per page down to 300 KB (originally: 1,2 MB (!))
- Replacement of the originally Page Builder-based image galleries with an optimized and customized version of the WordPress gallery shortcode; which led to massively reduced loading times; eg. the "Referenzen" page (portfolio / references), which is now down to just approx. 950 kb of size, from originaly over 8 (!) MB
- Improvement of the YSlow and Google PageSpeed tests of originally E / E- to regularly C + / C on custom pages (like the home page) and B / B+ on regular single pages
- Improvement of the mobile / responsive page display
Project duration: 09/2018 - 10/2018
Plugin for WordPress and ClassicPress, which ensures, that all kinds of embedded resources in a website are 100% transfered via SSL / TLS ("https").
- By default: Requires no configuration - just upload and activate
- Combines several methods, which before have been roaming around in separate plugins (by different authors; these include SSL Enforcement constants, as well as shortcode, widget and content parsing using filters and cache data, if available
- Direct support for Hyper Cache
- License: GNU GPL v2 or higher
- Direct support or integration with other common caching tools, eg. W3 Total Cache, Fastest Cache or Meteor Cache
- Optional configuration file for developers
Project started: 05/2018
UI WC CSV Import
Custom CSV import plugin for Cadia, a commercial inventory management system, towards WooCommerce (using the CSV-Export module).
- Stand-alone, custom CSV Reader class
- All data are reproduced with native WordPress functionality
- Image import using simple, easy adaptable importing rules
- Optional removal of pre-existing products before running the data import (based on the SKU; thus, only known products are being removed)
- Direct support and integration for the WooCommerce Chained Product plugin
- Customization of the sorting order during the data import (menu_order)
- Access from remote (auth), using the commandline (cli, cron) as well as via web
- Ensuring updates by storing everything (including configuration) in a separate subdirectory in the WordPress upload directory (wp-content/uploads/*)
- Custom backup and recovery system including separate, simple web administration interface
Project duration: 03/2016 - 12/2017
Technical realization of the website of datacolor, market leader in color management and calibration (eg. Spyder5 photography calibration tools)
- Installation and configuration of WordPress
- Theme development based on HTML5 templates (Bootstrap, jQuery)
- very excessive template development
- Responsive Webdesign
- Usage of Advanced Custom Fields for most part of the admin GUI
- Internationalization using WPML (4 languages, including modern chinese)
- Toolkit development, to fix common issues with WPML (among others, includes a class library for improved, easier query of the translated Custom Post Types, ACF etc)
- Development of a custom String Translation API (i18n)
- and much more ..
- Design realization by Pixelstark.de
Project duration: 05/2016 - 06/2017
Mastodon Embed Improved
Embed Mastodon-Posts, ie. «Toots». easily into WordPress posts and pages.
- Embedding using a shortcode
- Complete OOP rewrite of Mastodon Embed
- Resulting in multiple embeds per page
- Proper shortcode initialization
- Backward compatiblity to the original plugin
- Uses the Simple HTML DOM parser class instead of XPath
- Working caching inkl. manual refresh option
- Fallback / Option for direct embedding (inkl. resp. CSS)
- Debug mode
- License: GNU GPL v2 or later
Project started: 04/2017
UI Leaflet Integration
Userfriendly integration of the Leaflet.js Library as a plugin for WordPress.
- Clean integration of the most up-to-date Leaflet version
- Shortcode including extensive Documentation
- Default map system is OpenStreetMap
- License: GNU GPL v2
- Multiple markers per map
- Shortcode generator with address lookup (OSM Nominatim and compatible)
- Supporting all available features of the Leaflet.js library
Project started: 07/2016
More information about my modi operandi may be found as a text document with extensive project history (German), contact information and quick CV at my networking website.
How much is the fish? (ie. what is the usual price for a regular website?)
According to my experience you need at least 25 working hours to create a website. Most of the time, the actual amount of work is somewhere between 30 - 40 hours; because nothing works without a solid base concept, and even when doing »PSD2Theme«, ie. conversion of a photoshop design into a WordPress theme, one still requires proper structure and layout.
There is a (German) guide by my colleague Marc Hinse, which is mostly up-to-date (except the notice about the average hourly rates for freelancers in Germany; Alternative option): Was kostet eine Website?
Germany: My default hourly rate is 60 Euro (plus taxes; which are currently 19%).
Outside of Germany (including the US) my default hourly rate is 70 USD. For EU countries there may be custom arrangements - just ask me about it.
The commercial part?
The default case is: 33% to 50% deposit up front, right after placing the order; the rest when finishing the job. Respective partial invoices may be issued on request / by arrangement (PDF document).
Payment is accepted via PayPal (international) oder bank transfer (IBAN; EU, UK, plus Canadia).
You may reach me directly using the above phone number(s) (10:00 - 20:00 o'clock CET), via E-Mail, as well as using the Contact form.
Alternatively you may reach me via one of the listed networks or sites: